Tuesday, August 21, 2012

1st Day of School

Oh my goodness....I am exhausted after our first day of school!  I'm a little worried about some of my homeroom students (which I have 3 times a day - social studies, DEAR, and homeroom).  There is a small group of boys in my homeroom that are quite disrespectful (and this was on Day 1...the one day when you would think they would behave!).  Other than that, my homeroom kiddos seem like sweeties.  I'm hoping a seating chart to separate some of those disruptive students will fix the problem.  Those same students did not come to our 6th grade orientation yesterday and let everyone know "that they weren't there and didn't need to come".  A big portion of our orientation yesterday was working on learning locker combinations (which 6th graders typically struggle with), so of course those students didn't even know where their lockers were this morning, let alone know how to open them.  Not only do I worry about those students for this year, it makes me wonder what kind of parental support I will have this year with those students.  I am trying not to judge already, but it hasn't been the best start so far.
As far as other classes, it seems like I have 2 classes of upper level learners, a class of in-betweeners, and a class of special ed/low learners.  This is the first time that my classes in 6th grade have been basically leveled, so I'm interested to see how this works out this year.  My sped/low class has 23 students (5 of those actually labeled sped and several that didn't qualify for services)....my para and I may have our work cut out for us with that group.
I'm just ready to get into our routines with the kids and start the learning!  Hope everyone else's school year is off to a great start!  Until next time....
~Mandy   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment